Sunday, June 28, 2009

Escape from Sobibor




Time 2.00 PM 27-Jul-2009 : We visited one of our friend's home and I had to go out with him to fix a damage in my Car. Dad, Meera, Aditya and Anjali had to stay back @ my friends home, and as an incentive (usual... :)) I had to order for Pizza's from Pizza Hut. Aditya loves visiting his home because he gets unrestricted access to his laptop to play NFS (and he loves cars....any game that is fast....adventures....). He plays NFS like no one else...even the inventor of the game doesn't play like this, even the NFS champ of the world can't compete with him. You know why??? he always goes in the opposite direction :).


Anyways - My friend is a hero for Aditya because of this freedom. At home this doesn't happen. There is time for everything and a lot of restrictions.


Time 5.00 PM : We returned back and it was time to go home. My friend said that he wanted to visit one of his cousins place to stay over that night. Aditya jumped up and said "Uncle can I come with you today?". We were extremely surprised by the fact that Aditya wanted to go out with someone else to stay over (he has never asked us before). But the motivations were very clear. He was looking for freedom...... freedom from me...freedom from his mom....freedom from Sundu Thatha...and freedom from last but not the least - his "little monster" sister!!!


The kind of expression that he gave was awesome....(remember the puss in Boots in Shrek) Meera and I were dumbstruck to see that he was terribly excited about the basic fact of going and staying with my friend. He was looking at us for an approval..... and decided that he will accept only a "Yes" and nothing else from us. We finally said "Ok" and there was celebration for some time. We even said "Aditya we might go to McDonalds tonight...." he promptly replied and said "Its Ok Pa....I'm fine with that" Wow....unbelievable, whats going on...my son says Ok to miss McDonalds. Meera was very happy that she can have some peaceful time at home (see sometimes it's required...I don't know how many times she says this whenever I go out...). She had so many plans...."Kannan take Anjali out for a walk and I want to sit and watch some TV today....its going to be very long since I got a chance like this..." I was anyhow prepared for this.


I called Aditya and asked him to behave nicely. Gave all kind of advises that my Dad gave me when I left home to stay in a hostel in Coimbatore way back in 1989. Suddenly I realized that I was overdoing this and said to myself that "Kannan...relax its only for a night..."


Time 8.00 PM : Meera was getting little restless....she said "I think I'm missing Aditya.....and do not know what he is doing there". She called my friend and the call was picked by a sweet voice...yes it was Aditya in the other end. Meera thought that Aditya would be missing her and would want to come back and there was another shock...when he said "Mom! we are having a little party here....I'm having Mushroom Soup and have ordered for a Cheese Uttappa...." (I promise that I'll write a lot about the love Cheese has over Aditya :))


Time 9.00 AM 28-Jun-2009 : We called Aditya (chose to call him at 9.00 expecting that he would be getting up late on a Sunday morning) we were pleasenly surprised to hear his very jubiliant voice (he was certainly playing some game in the computer or watching television). Meera was again disappointed to note that Aditya did not miss us.


Time 2.00 PM : The door bell rang and we all rushed to receive Aditya...Anjali was running ahead of me...and screaming "Aditya anna vanduttan" (Aditya has arrived). Meera opened the door and Aditya was standing there quite giving a bright grin. She went and hugged him (see they were meeting after 12 long hours). It felt as if Aditya was returning home after 4 years of hostel life. I was standing behind and he came and hugged me too. Then he said...."you know what Appa...both the uncles were very kind" (all of us know the reasons...) they took care of me very well, it was fun to be staying with them"... "I missed you all (a very little)"... "I did not get enough time to play all the games" "My eyes have not reddened and i'm perfectly fine" "I did not trouble them" etc., etc., etc., and also said "Appa...can I go their house every week?"


Note: As very responsible parents we think we are doing the best for our child ...by those little conditions...restrictions...for their wellness. But what does the child think?....only they can tell....for me the experience he had was like an "Escape from Sobibor" not permanantly but atleast for a day.

No comments: