Saturday, January 08, 2011

Contentment

Date: 8-Jan-2011
Time: 9.30 PM

Moment:  I was watching a movie in the television.

Aditya sees a Ferrari in the movie and expresses a "Wow!!"  I looked at him and asked "hm...here comes a Ferrari for you".   "Appa do you know why there are just two seats in the sports car" Aditya asked.  The sports cars have to be lighter and not for carrying more people.  Also they look really nice with just two seats, less space occupied, can go faster......." I replied confidently with my little knowledge on automobiles.

"Well..." after a pause "I think the second seat is for taking girl friends" Aditya continued....

I paused for a moment and asked whether he would take me in his car whenever he buys it.  "Possible....but I will have to custom make the car with holders for your 'walking stick', 'denture' and 'reading glasses' which will make the car bigger.

I felt proud to see my son unleashing his creative thoughts.

"Its also going to be a problem for you to sit in a fast car like this, because old people like you (?) can't stand the speed of such cars.  Moreover, I will not be driving the car the way you drive your Honda City (?), so you stick to your old Honda City...." This was really an insult for someone like me who always thinks 20 years younger.

He is also not happy with the City that I have....as as per his standards its not a 'cool' car.

Epilogue:  My father never owned an automobile in his life, forget cars or bikes, not even a bi-cycle.  I could afford a four wheeler only when I was 28 years old.  During my childhood bi-cycle tires or pressure cooker gaskets were the hot wheels, hand made wooden carts with broken or used ball bearings were the real wheels.  Aditya was born in the age of 'modern automobiles and technologies' and I find this generation to have lost an appreciation for small things and also not being contented with whatever they have.  They want the latest Ben 10's, latest Bay Blades, latest automobiles, latest Hot Wheels;  everything latest or newest or the coolest.  The best of all was 'latest version of Bournvita'. One version older is not acceptable. They are increasingly interested in more 'material possessions' and nothing in the world can satisfy them enough.  You buy one today and there comes the need for another...and the story continues.

P.S. My father feels the same about me too, huh!

No comments: